Wednesday, November 14, 2012

What does music mean to you? Aaron Roberts!

Last week we had the chance to chat to Unity Radio drivetime DJ and all-round lovely local lad Aaron Roberts about his love of music, the inspirations that drive him and, naturally, sandwiches (what do you expect?!).


Hi Aaron! So, how did you get into what you’re doing now?
Well four years ago a friend of mine had a show on local community radio station All FM, so I helped him out with a small sports section and I got the bug. I’d always had an interest but I never really knew how to get into it. I trained at All FM and ended up doing a degree in Radio Production at SSR. I worked at a few different radio stations across Manchester, and started to do the drivetime slot on All FM with Yasmin [Evans, of 1Xtra and Sillis Sandwich Blog fame] and now I’m working at Unity Radio on the drivetime slot!

Who’s influenced you to pursue your career in radio presenting and DJing?
Firstly, Jason Cook from All FM. He helped me to realise that this can be a career rather than a hobby. Then there’s Pete Reeves, who started Piccadilly Radio which is now the huge Key 103. And last but not least, Yasmin – she made me take it seriously.

All-time favourite radio DJ?
Chris Moyles. I listened to him all the way through, from start to finish. No one comes close.

So what are your plans for the future?
To keep doing what I’m doing! To try to get as far as I can in presenting, but a national show is the dream.

The star question: what does music mean to you?
Music is everything! The first thing I do when I wake up is put the radio on! It’s definitely the highlight of my job, I love discovering the new but I also love the classics. When you hear a certain song it takes you back to a special moment in your life. For remembering stuff, music is better than photographs.

What’s your all-time favourite song?
I worked this out recently! It’s ‘Electric Relaxation’ by A Tribe Called Quest.



Aaaaand, what’s your favourite Sillis sandwich?
Well I love them all [we didn’t make him say that] but if I have to choose, it’s gotta be the Texan Crunch but with the encona mayo.


Thanks so much for coming by Aaron! You can hear Aaron on Unity Radio 92.8 FM 4-7pm Monday through to Thursday.

And you can find him on Twitter here!

No comments:

Post a Comment